Neapolitan pizza is the symbol of Made In Italy, loved by the whole world!
Since February 5, 2010 it is officially recognized as a guaranteed traditional specialty of the European Union. In 2017 the art of “Neapolitan pizzaiuolo”, of which Neapolitan pizza is a tangible product, was declared by UNESCO as an intangible heritage of humanity.
A widespread tradition that in June 1889, in tribute to the Queen of Italy, Margaret of Savoy, the chef Raffaele Esposito created the First pizza Margherita in the Brandi Pizzeria. Seasonings whose colors represented the Italian flag: tomato, mozzarella and basil.
For the philologist Emmanuele Rocco it had already existed for thirty years before the date that the history of Italy has handed down.
In the second volume of the work Usi e costumi di Napoli e contorni descritti e dipinti coordinated by Francesco de Bourcard, published in 1858, testifies to the preparation of the main types of pizza, that today take the name of pizza marinara, pizza margherita and calzone with tomato, basil and “thin slices of muzzarella“.
Whatever the first appearance of the national dish of Italy, the sure thing is the presence of our beloved tomato.
Here is our recipe for celebrating World Pizza Day on January 17th in Italy and on February 9th in USA!
The preparation of the dough for a quantity of 600 g of pizza dough: 300 g of ‘0 flour – 200 g of Manitoba flour – 400 g of water – 3 g of fresh brewer’s yeast – 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil – 11 g salt – 1/2 teaspoon of sugar.
- sift and mix together the flours for a total of 500 gr. Weigh 400 g and set aside the remaining 100 g.
- dissolve half of the fresh yeast in 2 tablespoons of water and add it to the previously mixed 400 grams of flour.
- add the sugar, turn, add all the water until all the ingredients listed are amalgamated.
- cover the dough with cling film and let it rise at a temperature of about 22 degrees
- let it rise from 6 to 8 hours until the dough has tripled its volume.
The pizza margherita only needs a few basic ingredients: buffalo mozzarella from Campania PDO, oil, basil and of course for a super tasty pizza and to get an amazing result you just have to choose the Rega “CRUSHED TOMATOES-PIZZA SAUCE”!
Happy Pizza Day!